Sunday, May 11, 2008

Podcasts: Library 2.0 Activity #26

I've known about podcasts, and Internet Radio, for a long time. Podcasts remind me of the Video on Demand feature when I had cable. It's nice to be able to go back and catch a show at one's leisure, rather than stay glued to the transmissions or streams whenever they go out. I found quite a few podcasts for my esoteric music interests, Learning Company-type lectures, and geospatial information systems that interest me, besides the library-oriented sites. One of the hardest things to find these days online for me is a book review source besides Amazon.com or Barnes & Noble, or familiar news sources like the New York Times. I realize that our periodicals databases have quite a few, but they require more digging. I can find movie and music reviews quite easily, but book reviewing sources seem more scattered. Podcast Alley seemed the easiest directory to search, with the most hits. I settled on The Great Read Radio Show podcast. I am definitely going to use podcast resources more frequently. It looks like some have been used to record entire books in audio format. I've always wanted to volunteer at some place like KRCL. I realize that I could be podcasting to a larger audience online.

1 comment:

Mike Place said...

You might want to check out UtahFM, which launched this morning with eclectic music and live programming from 9AM-9PM daily: utahfm.org. (Disclaimer: I am the co-founder of UtahFM)