Thursday, March 20, 2008

Using RSS feeds: Library 2.0 Activity #15

I've subscribed to e-newsletters for years, or frequented sites which I know are updated on Mondays, Thursdays or Fridays, or the first part of the month. I've heard about RSS feeds for years, and thought that would be too much to read. But I spend a lot of time checking news sites during the day, which is a big time sink every time I load the page. It's a waste of time if there are no updates to peruse. Plus, I may just want to know if certain kinds of news is updated. And some sites don't update on schedule. So, using RSS is a time-saver in the long run. One can also visit many sites on related topics, expanding one's interests, and tell by quick glances which are worthwhile and which ones aren't. I may be braver and get more feeds from particular blogs after I've had more experience. I just wish I could get notifications when there is an update to the staff email, since I'm not logged in to it when I'm away from the library.

No comments: